Friday, September 5, 2008

Patrick Mancuso - Marrow Transplant Recipient

Patrick's parents. 1SGT Mike Mancuso Senior NCO Crazy Horse Co 6-4 CAV, 3-1 ID

Simone Mancuso Great mother, and warrior on the home front.



What the press release does not say is that Patrick's Dad, 1SGT Mike Mancuso, deployed to Afghanistan as the Senior NCO of Crazy Horse Company 6-4 CAV, 3-1 ID; as his parents were waiting to hear if the transplant was successful.








The Scott & White Marrow Donor Program is pleased to honor Patrick Mancuso at the Lone Star Circle of Life Bike tour for his efforts in educating the central Texas community about the need for people to join the registry.

Patrick, his friends and his family, worked very hard to add hundreds of people to the registry during the time Patrick needed a transplant.

Patrick continues his support of the National Marrow Donor Program by agreeing to be the Honorary Race Director for the 2008 Miracle Match Marathon to further educate the public as well as raise funds to tissue type people for the registry.


Here is Patrick's story:

"Hello, my name is Patrick Mancuso and I am the first Honorary Race Director for the 2008 Miracle Match Marathon.

I would like to tell you about the race I have been running for the last few months -the race against cancer.

In November of 2007, I began to become very ill. After several doctors' visits, I was told that I was simply suffering from inflammation or growing pains.

After much persistence from my mother that it was something more serious, more tests were done and on December 4, 2007, I was diagnosed with a very aggressive form of leukemia knows as Acute Myelogenous Leukemia (AML).

I was immediately transferred to a hospital in San Antonio where my doctors started me on chemotherapy treatment. After my first round, it was clear that chemo alone did not work and I needed a transplant soon.

My doctors searched for a life-saving marrow donor, while I had to continue to undergo three more treatments of chemo as well as cranial and full body radiations.

As a result, I became very ill and had hard time dealing with the side and after effects. Throwing up and hardly eating became a routine.

My match was found and after all the preparations I received my life-saving marrow transplant at the Methodist Children's Hospital in San Antonio in March of 2008.

Since then, I have been on the rocky road to recovery and it's been very had at times.

I am still dealing with the after effects of chemo and radiation, which is normal, since recovery can take up to a year.

The good news is that I am recovering better than any one could have imagined and my last count on August 22nd was 100%donor cells!

I was able to start school again and am still trying to be a normal 14 year old, playing XBOX and my favorite sport - football!!!

Recovery has been very frustrating for my family and friends, but I am very lucky to have their love and support.

I am also very anxiously waiting to meet my marrow match. She sent me a card before my transplant, but it has only made me more excited to meet the person who has given me another chance at life.

Check out the Lone Star Circle of Life Bike tour site: http://www.sw.org/web/patientsAndVisitors/iwcontent/public/biketour/en_us/html/biketour_localevents_temple.html

And Patrick's careingBridge site: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/patrickmancuso Where you can leave a message for Patrick, his brother and his parents (1SGT Mike and Simone Mancuso)

No comments: